2020 @ Holmevillage

Holme Village Community Website

Newark Police Notice

We are asking residents to not burn garden waste or other materials during the lockdown.    Coronavirus (Covid-19) can cause significant respiratory problems for people who contract the illness. This means that people managing their symptoms at home may need to have their windows open to help improve their breathing. Smoke coming from a fire could cause their breathing difficulties to become even worse. You may not realise it, but the effects of bonfires at this time are likely to be much more serious and have a bigger impact on the health of those suffering from the virus or other respiratory conditions, including asthma. By choosing not to burn waste, it will not only help the health and well-being of those at home who may be ill, but it will also significantly reduce the chances of a fire getting out of control and spreading to neighbouring properties, which creates extra pressure on the already busy emergency services. At the best of times, bonfires can be very irritating to neighbours if the smoke stops them enjoying their gardens, opening windows or hanging out washing etc. Always ask yourself the question: “Would I like it if one of my neighbours was having a fire and my house was full of the smoke from it?”  Composting is an excellent alternative. Not only is it better for the environment, it is also a good way of helping to grow things in your garden in the future. Household waste should certainly not be burned on a bonfire.


For more information please go to the  


          Council website https://crowd.in/eA3FDi


        Courtesy of @Newarkandsherwooddistrictcouncil